Friday, September 17, 2010

Sixth Letter

This week I learned a valuable job hunting lesson:  Career Fairs Rock!  So many employers in one place, and they're all looking to hire you (well, maybe not "you" exactly but possibly a version of you.  It's really in how you message and frame yourself).

I just got back from a career fair at UW-Madison with over 230 companies.  How do you prepare for such an event?  Here are a few pointers I've picked up:
  • Come prepared.  Know which companies you want to talk to.  Most career fairs will post the employers (plus information on them) online prior to the fair.  Understanding the company will give you an idea of which position you might fill with them.
  • Bring tons of copies of your resume.  Many conversations will start with "Can I see your resume?"  Don't let that be the end.  I also recommend getting your resume printed on something better than bright white copy paper.  It really does make a difference!
  • If you're nervous about approaching a particular company, hang out nearby and wait for someone else to approach them.  Watch what they do and make mental notes of what works and what doesn't.  If you're close enough, you might actually pick up part of their conversation and be ready to answer their questions.  Don't be afraid to let someone else go first, the employers are there to meet A LOT of people.  It's not a race.
  • Perhaps the most important part of all:  Follow up.  If you hit it off with a recruiter and they tell you to fill out an application on their website, do that immediately after the fair.  It shows commitment and interest on your end.  Plus, you never know if the company will execute a hiring freeze next week (happened to my dad), so don't delay the hiring process.
My experience was a good one.  I met with about 15 companies and confirmed 2 interviews.  All it takes is meeting that one person who can get you hired.  So get out there and attend a few career fairs.  What's the worst that could happen?  You lose a few hours of your day.  The best case scenario, of course, is getting a job.  I think that possibility makes up for a few hours of networking, don't you?

This site offers a ton of advice on career fairs and how to find one near you!  Career Fair Resources.

Happy hunting, J

No comments:

Post a Comment